Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday Too

I had such a wonderful day today. After spending the morning in the office, I got to go to Casa Renacer again for the afternoon. The kids know by this point that I speak mainly english, so when they see me they say ¨hi!¨ and ¨bye!¨ all through out the day. One of the staff suggested that I spend some time with the kids teaching them some english words, and of course, I jumped at the opportunity.

The boys, ranging from ages 7-14, crowded around and asked away. How do you say... !!!

hola
ciao
amor
te amo
Patty =)
futbol (soccer)
casa
cuaderno (workbook)
madera (wood)
lapiz (pencil)
libro (book)
perro (dog)
cocina (kitchen)
naranja (orange)
computadora
...y mas!

Honestly, it´s after this moment that I became so grateful for the little Spanish I did know. Even if for this short hour I could spend time with the kids and help them learn words that maybe they´ll forget tomorrow, I still think it was worth every second. To smile and laugh with the kids. I had the best time today.

On the ride home, the BSCP special education teacher, also my host mom, told me how the boys who live at Casa Renacer ask her if they can call her mom. That was the most precious thing to hear. Mom. She´s only there three hours a day, four days a week. 12 hours. And yet this means the world to these boys. Someone who´s willing to invest 12 hours of her life teaching these boys how to read, to finish their homework, to behave...and to the boys, this ultimately translates into love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that is too cute :)

p.s. when i was home this wknd, i had mom read your posts. when she read your mystery meat one and found out what you ate was cow, she said..."EWWW" and laughed. haha

Anonymous said...

Patty, I'm loving reading about your experiences in Bolivia. Thanks for making a blog! You and all of the kids you're working for are in my prayers!